Friday, September 3, 2010

The College Experience

     I don't think I mentioned this in my last post, but I was homeschooled from kindergarten through highschool. Jones has been my first real "public school" experience. Fortunately, the transition hasn't been as bad as I thought it might be. It's mostly been just getting used to little things, like the cafeteria, class periods, and entering a row to the right of the desk you wish to occupy. When my older sister first went to college, she said it took her a while to realize that the classroom numbers that started with a one, like 117 or 123, met on the first floor, while classes that started with a two met on the second floor. One of my classmates made fun of a sign in one of the buildings that explained this concept, saying, "I feel so secure in my academic future now." Well, those signs are for people like me.
     My first test was in my psychology class, and it was done by scantron. That was different. My teacher didn't explain how we were supposed to do it, so I had to figure it out myself, but it turned out fine.
     One of the biggest surprises came when I realized that hardly any of the students cared about what they were doing. I'd heard that would be the case, but listening to all the people around me in class showed me exactly how true that was.
     Anyway, I had my interview at The ReView, and the editor told me that instead of a regular job interview, he was going to give me an assignment and see how I did. He told me to go interview two fourth grade elementary teachers who had produced the highest scoring math class in the area from an otherwise average school. I interviewed the teachers, wrote the article, and sent it in. The editor said it would be published on the front page of the September 9th edition (it's a weekly paper). I guess that means he liked it, so I was pretty excited about that. The only thing is that I already have a lot to do right now, and doing everything for that article took a good amount of time, which is something I seem to be running low on these days. I'm going to give it a little longer at least, but I may decide to quit if it gets too demanding. Of course I don't want to, I like the work, but I'm afraid it might start affecting my grades. We'll see how it goes. As always, I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. My high school sounds different than that. Especially since we have only 1 floor and the campus is just really spread out.
    As for your front page article, awesome!
    I'm getting my first front page article in the paper we're printing on September 28. I expect to see a copy of your paper! :D

    ReplyDelete