Friday, December 14, 2012

Umbrellas and Philosophy

     I know, I know. The irony. I finally get a computer, and I don't write for months. Despair not, though, because I have actually been writing enough to keep you happy and informed. I've been keeping a news blog for one of my classes, called The Journalism Project. I learned a few things while keeping another blog (like how to insert links), which I'll try to use to give this one a boost.

     I also made a video while I was out, called Rain or Shine. You'll laugh, you'll cry. It's about umbrellas.

     On a different note, I've decided to use my writing abilities for a field other than journalism. I've been thinking about this for quite a while, almost the whole year. The longer I've studied journalism, the more convinced I've become that it's not the job for me. What really tipped me in this direction was the two-week trip to Summit Ministries in Tennessee. I enjoyed those two weeks more than I've enjoyed anything in a long time. I was surrounded by people who were interested in studying deep things, who weren't afraid to ask questions that would make most Christians nervous. It was a place for true seekers, people who really wanted to dig deep into Christian thought and understand the world. That said, next semester I'll be studying philosophy, with the idea of teaching in the back of my head. I can hardly think of anything I would enjoy more than teaching philosophy.

     What's surprised me most is how little this switch has interfered with my plans. I'm still going to write, it's just that now I'm going to be writing about things I really care about. I've already got an idea for a book. I'm thinking about calling it "Common Philosophy" because I want to show people that philosophy isn't just for the educated and "intellectual elite," but that everyone uses, encounters, and expresses philosophy in some way. We're all philosophers, we just need to learn how to do it right. I think that by talking about a lot of weighty questions in simple terms, people will see that philosophy is an unavoidable, yet enjoyable, part of life.
   
     Enjoy the blog and the umbrellas. I'll try to write soon.

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment