Monday, April 2, 2012

My Favorite Author

I figure that, since I'm a writer, I should probably tell you who I look up to and get my inspiration from. My favorite author by far is C. S. Lewis. At first, I was only interested in the Chronicles of Narnia, which appealed to me because of his incredible storytelling ability and imagination. Not long after, I started reading his theological works, and I was hooked. I still haven't read all of his books, and to be honest I'm not exactly sure how many he wrote, but I am slowly and steadily working my way through them as school permits. I feel like I have to get all the boring, useless schoolwork out of the way so I can actually learn something.
Lewis is my favorite author for a number of reasons. His reasoning ability is absolutely astonishing. He has a way of taking those subconcious assumptions that most of us have and sitting them front and center for analysis. When I read Lewis, I constantly find myself thinking, "I never really realized it, but I suppose I do think that way." He also has a very appealing and understandable writing style. The best way to describe it is "conversational." If you don't have a problem with his British terminology and phrasing (which is easily understood by reading in a British accent), then you'll discover one of the clearest voices you've ever heard. That, combined with his firm grasp of logic and liberal use of analogies, makes him one of the hardest people to disagree with that I know. His proof of Christian religion, "Mere Christianity," has converted many an agnostic and atheist, and would have converted me if I hadn't already been a Christian when I read it.
Right now I'm reading his autobiography, "Surprised by Joy." It's not a book I would recommend to people unfamiliar with his works. You have to read his other books to develop an interest in who he is before you can read his autobiography, or at least that's how it worked for me. With all that said, I don't think that Lewis is for everyone. People who don't enjoy logic or truth should steer clear of his theological works and limit themselves to The Chronicles of Narnia and the Space Trilogy series. For everyone else, I recommend starting with "Mere Christianity," which I think is one of the best examples of his writing.
Until next time.
SDG

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed his Space Trilogy, but I'm ashamed to say I have never read any of his theological works. I plan on reading at least a few of them before I die, however.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete