Friday, January 7, 2011

The Second Semester

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I'm back. Finals weren't nearly as hard as I expected, so that was good. I was glad to have a break for a while, but near the end I was ready for school again. As for how I spent Christmas vacation, I'm afraid there's not much to tell. We made a surprise visit to my older sister's house for Christmas this year, which almost ended up being a disaster because we didn't bring a key to get into her apartment. Fortunately, she arrived about five minutes after we got there, saving us from freezing outside in the 20 degree weather with a strong wind. It wouldn't have been a very happy Christmas memory to come home and find your family frozen on the doorstep. Now for the question I've been hearing all day: What did you get for Christmas? This year was a pretty good haul. The most useful thing I got was a new car sterio with an auxillary port (the place where you plug in your mp3 player), which was desperately needed since weeks of listening to my limited CD collection on my college commutes got old pretty fast. The most stylish gift I got was a t-shirt with one of my favorite quotes printed on it. It comes from the penguins on the movie Madagascar: "Smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave." I also got a book from the Uncle John's Bathroom Reader series (one of my favorite series of all time). It's a collection of information on trivia and interesting news. Most of the information is pretty lighthearted, and makes for a great way to make your bathroom time more productive (let's hear it for multi-tasking). I've actually learned so much and collected so many books from the series that my family claims I learned more from Uncle John than I did from my formal education.
Today and yesterday were the first days of classes. I'm taking seven classes this semester, which come to about 18 hours a week. I've decided to try to write for both newspaper and yearbook, and see which one best suits my writing style. All this has to be balanced on top of working my regular job at the plant during the busiest season of the year. Needless to say, I'm going to be busy. In other news, I've been asked to write a series of articles for my dentist, who happens to be an old family friend. I'm going to have to do my very best work for him, since he's planning on using the articles to put on his website and possibly even in a book. As for my work at The ReView, I'm thinking of submitting my dental articles as a series of columns entitled: Straight From the Dentist's Mouth.
So that's what I'll be doing this semester. No problem, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment